Dec 13, 2011

Rune Sphere

I have a shiny silver colored sphere that is about 3/8 inch in diameter. I used to make jewelry out of sterling silver and I had a bag of scrap stuff including some 3/8 inch round silver beads. I was looking at them one day and noticed one was a lot heavier than the other two. I looked closer and saw that it wasn't a bead at all because there was no hole in it. On closer inspection with a magnifying glass I could see what looks to be rune characters or some kind of hieroglyphs. I have made a drawing of the object. The characters go all the way around the sphere and meet on the other side. Hopefully I have drawn it clearly enough that someone could recognize what it is. Please comment if you have any idea what it is.
The sphere is shiny, is attracted to a magnet, but is not magnetic itself. It is not Hematite because a streak test left a gray streak instead of a red one.

5 comments:

Cindy Schnackel said...

Ever find out what it was?

Philip DeLoach said...

Nope. I've contacted a bunch of people. Even people who know about runes and Hieroglyphs and nobody had a clue. What makes it even weirder is it's etched onto a 3/8 inch steel ball. If you didn't know the writing was there you would just think the thing is a steel ball bearing.

PaulCoover said...

Just etching this steel ball is a small technological marvel. Did you use powder to bring up the image? This is a marvel.....the eighth wonder of the world or something like it. Wild!!! Phillip, this is Paul from RB. I'm asahelmadeknives@yahoo.com Thanks brother.

Philip DeLoach said...

Paul,
No, I didn't do anything to the sphere to bring out the etched image. It just turned out that way in the photo. When you hold it in your hand the etchings are not that visible. I guess it was the flash from the camera that brought out the etched glyphs.I wish I could find someone who could tell me what the symbols mean.

daniel.j.bowen@uscg.mil said...

I came across your post by accident but I honestly can say I have seen the same thing before back in 2007. My sergeants wife had a ball like this she carried in a black felt pouch. she said that she found it on her family ranch in elgin texas when she was 12 which would make it ummmm.... 1987 ish. she used to call it her "space ball" and maintained the theory that it was of alien origins as well. I recall the first character which looks "y" ish and the last character that looks like a choppy c with a line over it. I remember it was heavy as well for the size of it which was about 3/8 an inch as well. no idea how something back then could have been engraved with such precision